This superfood salad from The First Mess is so packed with anti-oxidents, omegas, and nutrients that it’s sure to make you feel absolutely amazing. Featuring a huge cast of ingredients–blueberries, kale, chia seeds, just to name a few–it’s not your average salad. Read on for the recipe!
The Everyday Superfood Salad Recipe
- 1 bunch of kale, leaves chopped kinda small
- 1 broccoli branch/segment, florets finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper (I used Himalayan pink salt–any old salt is fine)
- 1 small beet (red or golden or striped), thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled + sliced
- 1-2 sprigs of basil, chopped
- handful of blueberries
Blueberry Ginger Dressing Ingredients
- heaped 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled + chopped
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- big splash of water
- salt + pepper
- 1/4 cup oil (grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil)
Omega Seed Sprinkle Ingredients
- handful sunflower seeds
- handful pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1-2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tbsp hemp seeds
- handful of puffed quinoa (or puffed millet, brown rice etc)
- pinch of ground coriander
- pinch of salt
In a large bowl, massage the kale and chopped broccoli with the lime juice, salt and pepper. Keep massaging until the leaves seem a bit more tender. Taste a leaf for seasoning, adjust and set aside. Chop and prep all of the other salad ingredients and set aside.
Make the dressing: combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until you have a creamy and unified mixture. Check for seasoning and sweetness, adjust and set aside.
In a medium sauté pan, combine all of the omega seed sprinkle ingredients over medium heat. Stir them around here and there until they smell toasty and the coriander is a bit more prominent. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Arrange the massaged kale and broccoli on your serving plate. Top the greens with the beets, carrots, avocado, chopped basil, and blueberries. Season the whole thing with salt and pepper again. Stir up the dressing (it should have thickened a bit) and drizzle it all over the top and garnish the salad with the omega seed sprinkle. Serve it up!